"I don't know what wouldn've happened to my ear", Colon told the news station.
This is the first time AirPods have made headlines for exploding, so it doesn't appear to be a widespread issue. "But I'm sure that since it hangs down, it could've been my ear lobe, you know, my ear lobe could've been burnt". Apple's iPhones have been in the news for exploding every now and then around the world - a lot of them have faulty batteries.
Jason Colon, of Tampa, said on Thursday he noticed white smoke coming out of the painfully trendy headphone bud, set the gizmo down on his workout machine, and went off to get an LA Fitness staffer for help. "You can see flame damage", he told the television station.
The second affected the devices sent to replace the original faulty phones.
Tata 45X, H5X concepts revealedFuturistic pair point to company's future product
India had previous year announced a plan seen as impractical by most observers to have only electric cars on its roads by 2030. Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India (HMSI) has an extensive product line-up for the ongoing Auto Expo 2018 in Greater Noida.
We've always been largely unimpressed with the quality of Apple's EarPods headphones, and were hoping to see a dramatic improvement in their standard following Apple's acquisition of Beats in 2014. A search of Apple's support forums turned up two reports of AirPods growing warm or hot after 30 minutes of use.
Colon immediately removed the AirPods, and after a while, he observed that the earbud was starting to melt.
Apple AirPods have come under scrutiny after a user in Florida reported a fire which "fried" his wireless earbud.
They're not flawless, but for a first generation product, they're pretty good.