Four people, including one women and three children, died and ten were injured after a fire broke out at a home in the Midwood section of Brooklyn in the wee hours Monday.
The father, a 16-year-old female, and a 15-year-old male were taken to Staten Island University Hospital in critical condition while two other boys, 13- and 12-years-old, were transported to Maimonides Hospital with minor injuries, according to the Post.
Three of the injured firefighters were hurt seriously - with smoke inhalation and a broken pelvis, the New York Daily News reported.
The fire started on the ground floor and spread quickly up through the second floor and attic, FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said at a news conference.
This is a developing story. FDNY FIre Marshal and FDNY Commissioner, Daniel Nigro inspect the scene of the fire. "The units, knowing there were people in the home, pushed in very aggressively". According to the Times, the FDNY says that the cause of the fire does not appear to be suspicious.
Salvation Army Red Kettle stolen in Portage
Last year, the anonymous donor left two gold coins in the Salvation Army kettle outside the Walmart at 2300 W. In both cases, as in earlier years, the coins were wrapped inside a dollar bill.
A longtime family friend and neighbor, Morris Levy, said the family had recently moved into the house.
According to Nigro, to get out the mother and her three children on the second floor, firefighters would have had to go right into the fire.
A fire that roared through a Brooklyn home on the sixth night of Hanukkah, killing a mother and her three young children, was touched off by the family's menorah, fire officials said.
Azan is a manager at the Hat Box, a menswear store on Coney Island Avenue.
Nigro praised the father, who got two teenaged children out of the house before he heroically went back into the raging blaze in hopes of saving his wife and other kids. The bodies of the deceased are being flown to Israel for burial.
Mayor Bill de Blasio urged people to be cautious with decorations, electric lights, candles and space heaters during the winter months and the holidays.