Arrest made in connection to NC Amber Alert case

Adjust Comment Print

The Onslow County Sheriff's Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation took 32-year-old Earl Kimrey into custody on Friday.

Mariah was reported missing Monday morning by her mother, who said she last saw her when she put her to bed the night before.

32-year-old Earl Kimrey was taken into custody Friday.

The 32-year-old man was taken before a state magistrate and charged with concealing of death, Obstruction of Justice, Second Degree Burglary, Felony Larceny and Possession of Stolen Property.

Kimrey is being held on a more than one million dollar bond.

Saturday afternoon, officials said they were still searching for Mariah Woods, but believed she was dead. "The searches will now shift to a recovery process", the Federal Bureau of Investigation said.

Police find nail bomb at Christmas market in Germany's Potsdam
But later they added that they were not sure whether it was a genuine explosive device or a dummy. The package was reported to measure 40cm by 50cm and contained wires and electronics.

Records reportedly show that Kimrey broke into a home and stole two dressers around the time Woods disappeared, according to WNCN.

Kimrey allegedly "failed to notify a law enforcement authority of the death of Mariah Woods, and secretly disposed of the dead child's body", according to the warrant.

"It does not appear that they are related to this case, but they will be collected and turned over to investigative teams for further review so that we are 100 percent certain", he added.

Miller said that the outpouring of support from the community has been "overwhelming" and asked that residents continue to support each other "as we all grieve the life of this little girl and still focus on finding her".

Mariah's parents are divorced, and her father, Alex Woods, said that while his daughter is living with her mother, his week had been "like hell, like a nightmare". ABC News reports that her mother reached out to the public in an emotion-filled plea Monday. "Someone just walked right up in there, grabbed the 3-year-old out of the bed and she didn't cry, she didn't scream?" She says Kimery, saw the child later that night. "She's my baby, she's my everything", said Kristy Woods in a press conference. The missing child's case has shifted to a homicide case.