Netflix shuts down production on 'House of Cards' with Kevin Spacey

Adjust Comment Print

Following an allegation that Kevin Spacey made a sexual advance on actor Anthony Rapp when Rapp was 14 years old, Netflix has suspended production of "House of Cards", according to CNBC.

A tipline for complaints against Kevin Spacey has been set up by the famed London theater where he served as artistic director for more than a decade.

Hours after publication of the interview, Spacey apologised to Rapp on Twitter, though he said he did not remember the incident in question. This is a breaking story.

Unruh declined to provide further details other than to tell the Globe, "If a woman who saw what happened didn't tell [the alleged victim] to run while Spacey got up to go to the bathroom, I don't even want to think about what would've happened".

Netflix and the show's producer Media Rights Capital had already made a decision to end the series at the end of the current season but on Tuesday they chose to pause the production, which is filmed in Baltimore, "to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew".

Season six, which Netflix had already confirmed on Monday would be the final edition of its flagship production, had been scheduled to air in 2018.

Tony Podesta Steps Down from Lobbying Firm Amid Mueller Probe
The firm brought in an estimated $4.8 million in the third quarter of 2017, down from $6.1 million in the third quarter of 2016. A person familiar with the announcement said a new firm with a new name will be formed in the hope of salvaging clients.


One of the streaming service's most critically acclaimed and popular shows will be over after its upcoming sixth season. The two-time Oscar victor claims that he doesn't remember the encounter. "I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, I now choose to live life as a gay man", wrote Spacey, who had not previously addressed his sexuality publicly.

Spacey is not now on set for "House of Cards".

Rapp, now 46, said he came forward after allegations against Harvey Weinstein sparked conversations about sexual abuse and harassment in the entertainment industry.

"That said, I take reports of such behaviour seriously and this is no exception".

In a statement, he said: "I have a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor". The "House of Cards" actor, who did not answer several requests for comment before BuzzFeed published the piece, has been accused of deflecting the victim's trauma and changing the narrative by coming out.

Comments