6 policemen killed in Kashmir's Anantnag, LeT claims responsibility

Adjust Comment Print

Sixth police official succumbed to injuries as well.

The unrest spread to neighbouring villages as thousands of residents clashed with Indian government forces, hurling stones and chanting: "We want freedom" and "Go India, go back".

The post 6 Cops Confirmed Dead After LeT terrorists Attacked Thajiwara village then mutilate faces with bullets appeared first on Ngyab. More than 20 civilians were injured during the protests, which continued till late evening.

An Indian police officer detains a Kashmiri protester in Srinagar, Indian controlled Kashmir, Friday, June 16, 2017.

The attack comes on a day when the security forces eliminated Lashkar commander Junaid Mattoo along with one more terrorist in Kashmir's Kulgam district.

Unidentified officials told NDTV that the personnel were travelling in a vehicle when the militants opened fire.

Scalise still critical but improved
The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Scalise remained in critical condition on Thursday after the latest surgery. The bullet that hit Scalise fragmented into hundreds of pieces, which is what caused Scalise's broken leg, Sava said .

There were reports that forces used Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) to blast two houses where militants had taken position during the gunfight. Exams scheduled for Saturday were postponed by Kashmir University.

Meanwhile, clashes erupted in several parts of Kashmir valley after Friday prayers against the killing of civilians. His death would severely affect the LeT operations in south Kashmir, as according to police officers of Kulgam district, "he was no ordinary militant".

The DGP termed the constable's killing as "murder of humanity and Kashmiriyat".

Mehbooba said she has been warning of the risky consequences of violence time and again and appealed the civil society to rise to the occasion to make the future of J&K's younger generation peaceful.

It is believed that Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander, Junaid Mattoo, and his associate were the two militants gunned down in the operation. Mohammad Ashraf Khar (34) was killed in crossfire when the encounter started at 10 am. "Young students including girls are hitting the streets but refusing to yield", said Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, the region's popular resistance leader, in a statement.